Monday, June 12, 2017

Week 37--Wonderful Counselor

Hey Loved Ones,

Things I Never Thought Would Happen As A Missionary:
#30: Had a dream we were teaching the discussions to Donald Trump and his fam. They were really eating it up. Wishful thinking maybe?

So for a while i felt kind of hesitant to share miracles that happen because I was worried that nothing would come of them, that they wouldn't come full circle. But I realized that in the moment that a miracle happens, even if I can't see the end result, I was being an instrument in the hands of the Lord which is probably the most satisfying feeling I can get.

So we met back up with the Linders this week. They are so cool! You can just tell that Brother and Sister Linder are so in love, even after 25 years. Sister Linder actually joined the church when she was 16 because she thought she was going to marry the boy that she was dating, and after they broke up it really depleted her testimony. But she says that somehow, the missionaries find her. They have so many spiritual needs when it comes to the plan of Salvation, and now those blessings of eternal marriage are just around the corner now! Brother Linder is taking the discussions now and I feel so strongly that there are so many blessings for them!

We've been having a lot of success building the ward. We felt inspired to go by two less-active families that we hadn't met before. In the middle of the day they both happened to be home, and it was just the right moment. They were eager to have us back. One guy, Michael, was baptized when he was little but has been away for a long time. He just got out of jail and is so ready to change his life. Thank you #lighttheworld video for opening that door and that heart!!!

This week we have been focusing on inviting, especially inviting people to take all of the discussions and a return appointment. In church there was a new couple in the Gospel Principles class. I thought they were both members, but the husband was a recent convert, and the wife Derika wasn't. I didn't realize until halfway through! All through class I was praying that if I had the courage to invite her to take the discussions she would accept and become a new investigator. She seemed like she wanted to peel out after second hour, but we invited her to come to Relief Society, which turned out to be the most amazing and spiritual Christmas Devotional EVAR. After I asked her if she had ever taken the discussions with her husband. Derika said no, she had always been in class. I invited her to take them, and she said, "Yeah, I'm free every day this week." Which was cool because to me she was kind of intimidating.

When the other missionaries found out, they were FLOORED. They said she had always been very against the church, hated the missionaries coming over, and very anti. What a miracle!

What if I had known this? Would I still have asked? I think of the people who pray that the missionaries can find those prepared. Good. I think of those who pray that they can prepare people for the missionaries to teach better. But this week I thought of those--missionaries or members--who simply INVITE. Best. Everyone needs the Gospel, and you never know who will say yes.

Here's a Christmas thought: 2 Nephi 19:6, where Isaiah in one sentence sums up the Savior's pre-earth role, His Earthly Ministry, His Millenial Reign, and His Eternal Role in some of the most beauitful poetry and latre most beautiful music ever written: "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder; and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

Love you, but Jesus loves you best,
Sister Pugmire

No comments:

Post a Comment