Monday, June 12, 2017

Week 35--Alma 32:1-16

Hey Loved Ones!

Things I never thought would happen as a missionary #25:
  • Get a hug tracting: The door opens, and this little boy runs out and gives me the biggest hug! And he doesn't let go! I wondered if he thought I was someone else, but no. He just wanted a hug. Kinda made my day.
I just wanted to share another experience. This has nothing to do with anything, but it has become one of the most cherished memories of my mission...I'm not sure why. We were following up with an online referral: Someone in Indianapolis wanted a free Bible delivered. This was in a different part of town, not even sure it was in our area, but it was assignment given to us. We got there and it was probably the most dangerous part of Indy I've ever been to. Really low income, kind of scary. We knocked to deliver, and had a seriously weird exchange. Long story, the person didn't end up wanting the Bible after all. So we left. On the way back to the car, there was a boy kind of dressed shabby riding a scooter. Sister Soresen said hi because she is the most friendly person ever, even though she was just as anxious to leave as I was. He said hello back, and asked what we were doing. We told him we were missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ. He said his name was Obadiah. "Obadiah! Well your name is in the Bible. Have you read the Bible?" "No." "Well would you like one?" There was a Bible in the back of the car, dog-eared and had the cover bent a bit so we probably couldn't give it to a referral anyway, so we gave it to him. "Wow! Thanks!" I also noticed some pictures that we normally use in lessons that were a bit faded, so I gave those to him too. "Really?!?! All these for me?" He was so sincerely excited by something that we otherwise would not have used. We gave him all the extra pictures we had in the car. He went away saying, "I'm going to take good care of these!!!"

For me that was profound. He cherished that Bible probably more than almost anyone I've met. I've met rich people, I've met poor people. And Alma was right when he said, " And now, because ye are compelled to be humble blessed are ye; for a man sometimes, if he is compelled to be humble, seeketh repentance..." But ultimately, what it comes down to is what he said next, "And now, as I said unto you, that because ye were compelled to be humble ye were blessed, do ye not suppose that they are more blessed who truly humble themselves because of the word?" That kid exemplified that for me.

We haven't seen him since. Wouldn't know where to find him or his family. Wish I would have given him a Book of Mormon too. And he may very well forget the day he met missionaries form the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but I won't ever forget.

Love you, but Jesus loves you best!
Sister Pugmire

No comments:

Post a Comment